Hugh Hefner was the founder of Playboy Magazine and a legend in his own time
Hugh Hefner published the first Playboy Magazine in 1953 with a nude centerfold of Marilyn Monroe. That was the beginning of his adult entertainment empire which included clubs, television, music, literature, interviews with historic figures, and lots of controversy.
Hugh grew up on Chicago's Northwest side and attended Chicago Public Schools: Sayer Elementary School and Steinmetz High School.
He served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Hugh graduated from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 1949.
Playboy Enterprises was located in Chicago from its inception until the headquarters moved to California in 2012.
The original Playboy Mansion was in the Gold Coast neighborhood at 1340 N. State Parkway. It is now a condominium building.
The first Playboy Club was located at 116 E. Walton Street. This building and address no longer exist.
Hugh M. Hefner Way
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Dedicated: April 11, 2000
April 9, 1926 - September 27, 2017
The honorary sign is located outside 919 N. Michigan Avenue, the former headquarters of Playboy Enterprises. This building is also known as the Palmolive Building and is recognizable in the Chicago skyline by the bright light atop the building.
Due to recent changes in Chicago's Honorary Street program, new honorary signs can no longer honor a living person. Hugh Hefner Way was installed before this change; he was one of the last surviving honorees.
Honorary Sign FAQ