Dr. Caesar Portes M.D., a leader in the early detection of Cancer
Honorary Dr. Caesar Portes Way in the City of Chicago
In 1943 Dr. Caesar Portes co-founded the Cancer Prevention Center of Chicago, an early detection and education facility. The technology and research the center used was decades ahead of its time. In 1962 the foundation built a state of the art facility and the clinic was renamed the George and Anna Portes Cancer Prevention Center. It helped develop the early detection methods and research which is standard practice today. The clinic operated at 33 West Huron Street until 1989, at which time the field of cancer screening became mainstream and access to the screening technology became widely available. Since the center closed, the Portes Foundation has turned its attention to making grants for medical research.
Dr. Caesar Portes graduated from the Chicago Medical School of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in North Chicago in 1928; a house of learning communities is named in his honor.